6.1 This chapter describes the principles and procedures that apply to elections, transitions, and government formation. It covers:
- the electoral cycle and its impact on government decision making;
- the principles and procedures that apply when there are transitions between administrations;
- the operation of the caretaker convention;
- the principles and processes of government formation;
- the law, conventions, and procedures concerning outgoing and incoming Ministers;
- mid-term transitions and early elections;
- the provision of information by the state sector during transitions.